Monday, April 25, 2011

What's is a Birch?

What is a Birch?  Technically, it is a tree that has really great bark for starting fires.  And, it's me.
 
I actually acquired the name back a few decades ago when I played rugby in college.   My teammates came up with it.  It is actually the shortened version of Bircheweitz.  I went to a predominately Jewish school on Long Island and the girls wanted me to feel like I belonged.   We ended up shortening it to Birch.

Jump ahead to 2007.  I started a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail (AT).  Everyone who hikes the AT has a trail name.  Hardly anyone uses their real name while hiking.  I was no exception.  But, instead of letting my fellow hikers come up with a moniker - I decided to resurrect Birch.   It has an outdoorsy flavor to it and I already came when called.   So, Birch it was.

Now, the question is why use it now?  Why not.   I decided it would be easier to just keep using it for this blog.  So, again Birch it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment